Hypnosis is one of the most effective alternative healing methods available. There has been tons on research on hypnosis and hypnotherapy, and the results have been very encouraging. Today, a lot is known about hypnosis - what it can do and what it cannot do.
What Hypnosis Is Not
1) Don't expect hypnosis to be some kind of magical healing method that will take away all your problems with the wave on a wand. It doesn't happen that way. For hypnosis to work, you must be prepared to put in some time and effort.
2) Hypnosis is not a coercive method. In other words, if you are not a willing party, hypnosis cannot work on you. Let's say you are trying to quit smoking. But you know that you don't really want to do so. In this case, since you are not really willing to quit smoking, hypnosis will not be able to help you.
3) Hypnosis is certainly not mind control. The subject is aware that the suggestions are being made to the mind, and can refuse to participate further at any time. The ability to choose is never impaired during hypnosis.
Sometimes, on television, we see hypnotized subjects behave in ways that they would never behave in when under hypnosis. This is an illusion created by the performers. They tend to choose subjects who are willing to participate in these shows. In other words, they are all willing participants. But that's just entertainment. In a real world healing situation, hypnosis is used very differently.
What Hypnosis Is
1) Hypnosis is an alternative healing method. Note that it is not meant to replace scientific healing methods. Instead, hypnosis can be used effectively with medical healing methods with no conflicts at all. Hypnosis doesn't deal with drugs and medicine. The most commonly seen tool that is used in hypnosis is audio. Through audio, suggestions are being made to the subconscious mind.
2) Hypnosis works on changing existing habits through the method of suggestion. Many health problems are related to habits. Smoking is a bad habit. Some people just need to smoke after a meal. Eating can also become a bad habit. Many people become obese because they just can't stay away from junk food. Deep down, these people know that they need to stop smoking or eat better, or their health will suffer. However, in many occasions, these habits are so ingrained that they find it hard to get rid of them. In such cases, hypnosis can help tremendously.
By making constant suggestions to the subconscious mind, the affected individual starts to lose the need to smoke or to overeat. Of course, the healing process many take some time, depending on the severity of the situation. But with patience, hypnosis has shown to be highly effective.
Article by Jake Rhodes
Brian Sanders, MS, CH Sanders Hypnosis Center 2528 Mountain RD, Suite #103 Pasadena MD 21122 www.SandersHypnosis.com